Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

PBY-5A Catalina

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

PBY-5A Catalina

Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 PM
chopperwing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual for CMP PBY Catalina by nitro planes

I search to find the manual for CMP fiberglas PBY Catalina sold by Nitro Planes,,,,,thank's
Old 09-03-2018, 02:12 PM
pumacb

beautiful
Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I know this is a old thread but here goes...
The PBY Catalina by Kyosho is a very easy plane to fly off water if set up right (as any plane).
The first thing to remember is your own experience.Flying a twin is not as easy as flying a one engine airplane. So practice on other planes first before flying a twin.
One newbie mistake is over powering! This is one mistake that many new comers do as they think they can always throttle down. But this is not right! Overpowering and using larger / heavier engines often results in erratic flights that results in a crash.
Using a heavier engine/s that requiers more fuel, larger fuel tank/s and sturdier structure/s (which means more weight).
-See the evil down going spiral??
A much better way of powering a plane (not a racer or pattern plane though) is using "enough power"! Enough power means having experience from many many planes to what engine size to choose for what type of airplane. Knowledge you can only get from years /decades of flying and building.

Going back to the Kyosho Catalina. If you fly from sea level a suitable engine size is .15 glow engines like the OS FP .15 or LA. 15 plain bearing engines. Those are light and powerful enough engines and if propped right ( with APC 8x5 props) will fly the Catalina just fine with very scale like flights ( less than 1/4 throttle) and take off from water will be just as easy both in calm and a little windy conditions.
Above is some examples of planes to practice on before trying out a twin.

Last edited by jaka; 01-23-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:07 PM
the-mailman

Hi, I know this thread hasn't had any activity for a while, but I'm hoping someone can answer my questions. Lots of questions.

I just picked up a Kyosho PBY and it looks like a great plane, I can't wait to try it, but I don't know anything about its setup. The previous owner had purchased it used several years ago and had never flown it either and couldn't help. All I know is it has 4 large Futaba servos, it's powered by two Turnigy G15 950 KV motors with 3 blade 9070 Master Airscrew props and has unbranded ESCs. The motors can pull up to 42 amps so I hope they're at least 60 amp.

It is quite heavy. I don't know how much it weighs, but is this a good setup for such a large craft?

It's set up to use 2 batteries, one for each motor. Will two 3S 2200 mah lipos be enough power? Should I a use larger amp single 3S or even 4S, whichever would be a better weight and power? Also, it looks like each ESC is powering the receiver through a Y cable. I was able to test each motor by plugging its ESC into the throttle channel separately. Is this OK or should I remove one power wire?

Is there any way to easily lighten the plane? Can I change the servos to lighter ones instead of the old Futaba ones? They still work fine, they're just heavy. Will it really matter?

Most importantly, where is the CG so I can balance the plane?

Any other tips or suggestions that would help me are welcome.

Lastly, does anyone have the manual, assembly instructions or whatever came with the model? That would be a big help if I ever have to do repairs.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 07-14-2019, 12:17 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thin fishing steel wire for rudder steering

Fuselage spray painted with 2-part SIKKENS autocryl auto paint (silver). Wing and stab covered with silver Oracover plastic film (Ultracote to you Americans)

OS LA .15 With 9x5 APC props

Hitec 20g servos used on ailerons

Wing seat raised 6mm at the front to have the wing seat more scale like, more positive up angle.
Hi!
Why go electric when you can have a perfect flying (and sounding) semi scale airplane with two OS LA .15 glow engines!?
My Kyosho is powered with those engines and flies just perfect. It has no water ruder ,which is not necessary and takes of by it self using two 9x5 APC props and flies scale like at 1/4 throttle and lands as easy as a high wing trainer.
Fuel used is 5% nitro and a mix of syntetic and Castor oil (15% syntetic and 2-4% Castor oil).Glow plug OS 8.
These engine are so dead reliable that you can cost around very slowly in the air at 1/4 throttle for minutes and as you want power for doing a loop or stall turn (yeah it loops and rolls easily) they react immediately.

Last edited by jaka; 07-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:38 PM
Captain Gregg
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Bruce, like you, I recently picked up the Kyosho PBY (of course, you posted this over three years ago... but still... Did you ever get any of your questions answered? Mine was a new in box kit... REALLY RARE find! I'm in the midst of building mine now.
How far did you get with yours? I do have the manual and if you still need I will scan it for you. Originally the plane was designed for glow fuel but some have converted it to electric... like yours. I'm doing mine electric as well, that is why I am keenly interested in yours and how it may have flown, etc.... Keep in touch, let me know.... I'll do the same.

Gregg

Originally Posted by the-mailman
Hi, I know this thread hasn't had any activity for a while, but I'm hoping someone can answer my questions. Lots of questions.

I just picked up a Kyosho PBY and it looks like a great plane, I can't wait to try it, but I don't know anything about its setup. The previous owner had purchased it used several years ago and had never flown it either and couldn't help. All I know is it has 4 large Futaba servos, it's powered by two Turnigy G15 950 KV motors with 3 blade 9070 Master Airscrew props and has unbranded ESCs. The motors can pull up to 42 amps so I hope they're at least 60 amp.

It is quite heavy. I don't know how much it weighs, but is this a good setup for such a large craft?

It's set up to use 2 batteries, one for each motor. Will two 3S 2200 mah lipos be enough power? Should I a use larger amp single 3S or even 4S, whichever would be a better weight and power? Also, it looks like each ESC is powering the receiver through a Y cable. I was able to test each motor by plugging its ESC into the throttle channel separately. Is this OK or should I remove one power wire?

Is there any way to easily lighten the plane? Can I change the servos to lighter ones instead of the old Futaba ones? They still work fine, they're just heavy. Will it really matter?

Most importantly, where is the CG so I can balance the plane?

Any other tips or suggestions that would help me are welcome.

Lastly, does anyone have the manual, assembly instructions or whatever came with the model? That would be a big help if I ever have to do repairs.

Thanks,
Bruce